Sunday 15 February 2009

The Riddle of the Sphinx

'She took these rooms for the pleasure of going there with her veil down, and imagining she was a heroine. She had a passion for secrecy, but she herself was merely a Sphinx without a secret.' - Oscar Wilde


King’s Cross
And a head full of questions,
Waiting on my gorgeous wings;
My feline pace anticipates
Your answers,
I will dig my claws in.
But the thing is
I’m a sphinx without a secret-
A riddle you can resolve
With your lips.

You jump the barrier,
A smile I can’t explain away
Give me the right answer, and
You just might live.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I think the Oscar Wilde quote is well known enough that you don't need it as an epigraph, but that's a stylistic preference. Also not sure about the conclusion - it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the language of the poem, if not the sentiment too. But, these are just thoughts. Tx

    ReplyDelete