Saturday 3 January 2009

Small Talk

Seeing missed connections, I
Comiserate delays,
Wishing merry christmases
To strangers in train carriages
Who say 'Have a safe journey, won't you?
And have a nice life.'
Here the women come and go
And talk of Michelangelo
Has never been important.
Instead, our short and well-told
Lives are stop-gaps between stations
From stranger to acquaintance
From here to there
How I am to how I will be
Because of this journey
And how this journey is
Because of where I've been.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the second half to the first, from the word 'instead', although I think that it could be dispensed with of itself. I do like the first two lines, though, very rhythmic, and the last four are great.

    On another note, have you noticed the 'blog archive' section on the right of the page? There are now two years listed - how misleading for eight poems...!

    Tx

    ReplyDelete